What is Sahlep?
Sahlab is a drink made from orchid root powder and appreciated for its texture and aroma and is one of the unique drinks on winter evenings. The orchids used to make sahlab can also be called the same
the name. Sahlab ingredients consist mainly of powder extracted from Sahlab root and milk. Cinnamon is also among the indispensable ingredients in orchids.
The orchid extracted from the roots and tubers of the orchid, Many elements, the most important of which are: glucomannan, glucose, sucrose, protein, And starch
How many calories in orchid?
Every 100 grams of Sahlab drink contains 94 calories. It may vary by increase or decrease according to the nature of the materials added to it, such as milk, nuts, and sweeteners.
The original natural Sahlep has many benefits for human health. Most notably:
- Sahlep helps relieve constipation and bloating.
- Helps facilitate digestion.
- Treats chest diseases.
- Eliminates menstrual irregularities.
- While it strengthens the immune system, It is also useful for sore throat.
- Increases the rate of burning fat in the body.
- Since it is prepared with milk, It nourishes the body in terms of protein and calcium.
- It is effective in strengthening memory and mind.
- When you take cinnamon with it, It increases the rate of fat burning and reduces cravings for sugar. And therefore , It also plays an active role in losing weight.
- It is used to reduce and treat hemorrhoid complaints.
how to make Sahlep?
Sahlab is characterized by its ease of preparation at any time and place. The traditional preparation process consists of:
- Add sugar to milk as desired (sugar can be replaced with honey)
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Sahlab is dissolved in another amount of milk
- Then it is added to the mixture over the fire (each cup of milk needs one or two tablespoons of orchids powder) and sometimes starch is added as well.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it becomes thick
- Add a few drops of blossom water or rose water to it
- Pour into cups and decorate with cinnamon, coconut or nuts (pistachios, walnuts, almonds, nuts) or dried fruits, It is served hot.
You can read more about Turkish sahlab through our article: Turkish sahlab drink.
Who is Hafiz Mustafa?
The history of Hafez Mustafa Sweets began in 1864. During the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Aziz, he gained a good reputation because of the people’s admiration for the sweets he made.
He invested the spread of Turkish sweets around the world, added to the traditional confectionery industry, The production of coffee, tea, chocolate, lokum and other products that spread to different countries.
Hafez Mustafa won 11 medals in the field of making pastries and sweets in Europe between 1926 and 1938. And his son Jamil Bey continued the same path of success and expansion after him.
Today, Hafez Mustafa sweets shops are the most famous destination for tourists who want to taste the delicious original taste of various types of Turkish sweets. In addition to being exported to many countries of the world.
Learn more about Hafez Mustafa by reading our article: Hafez Mustafa Cafe and Sweets 1864
There are no reviews yet.